Prints are having a moment in both fashion and home décor. Whether you go with traditional stripes or modern geometric patterns, look towards postcard-like print, or have fun with printed pots and pans with printed quotes, some new and refreshing tips for decorating with prints will keep your room cohesive but still eye-catching.
Tips for decorating with prints:
1. Experiment with Your Favorites. Many of the best tips for decorating with prints encourage you to experiment! Have fun exploring different looks with your favorite prints, just stick to accents and swatches at first; that way you don’t do anything permanently, so if you don’t like a particular print, you can switch it out for something new.
2. Play around with Different Sizes. Don’t be afraid to mix big flowers with small floral designs, various plaids, or different stripes. Playing around with scale introduces different looks and even textures into your space. The key is to keep to one color theme.
3. Explore Décor Styles. One of the best ways to decorate with prints involves mixing different styles—combining modern prints with traditional ones, or contemporary prints with French or country-style patterns.
4. Mix and Match Your Prints. Feel free to mix your prints. For instance, big bright botanical and floral patterns look wonderful with bold geometric prints. They’re entirely different, so they don’t clash. Similarly, try bold stripes with a delicate fleur-de-lis print.
5. Don’t Get Overpowering. The great thing about prints is that they add pops of color and interesting textures to any space. However, that can quickly get overwhelming if you aren’t careful. Whatever you do, make sure your prints have a more neutral background, unless you’re introducing a print through an accent wall. Just don’t go overboard, otherwise you’ll end up catching the wrong kind of attention.
Mix and match prints and shop the collection above at SM Home!