Q. “Dear Jenni,
I’m planning a trip to the beach with my friends this summer. It’s the first time I’ll be traveling with my BBFs. I want to look good but at the same time not spend too much in buying beach attires. What would you recommend for me to bring on this trip?
Please give me some tips too on how to pack for the beach.
To tell you the truth, I can’t remember the last time I was at the beach. Yes, it’s been that long. What I do remember is how I used to dress every time I’d visit “paradise” — the season’s best bikinis, all sorts of cover-ups, tunics, caftans, and beach gowns! I love glamour on the beach!
While packing for a sandcastle sojourn a month ago, I found myself ditching my usual beach attire to a more casual, basic, and comfortable wardrobe. I couldn’t even bring myself to pack my printed sundresses! What’s wrong with me? Everyone needs Pucci on the beach! Haha!
Clockwise: Floral top, SM; wraparound leather bracelets, Shanghai find; Mulberry “Alexa” quilted denim bag (gift from a friend); Rimowa suitcase
I was too lazy to pack but since going nude on the beach was not an option, I brought one large (half-filled) suitcase for check-in, a handcarry for my essentials, and a messenger bag.
Tip: Set out all the pieces to an outfit. Pack entire outfits together and you can make a day’s dressing simple and a trip relaxing!
Pack the basics:
From top: Prada sunglasses, Missoni x Havaianas flip flops (a gift from Adora), black tunic from Bangkok
I realized that after years of hauling overpacked luggage filled with stuff I would hardly wear, at the end of the day, the essentials are King!
My top 5 beach attire essentials:
1. Swimsuits – bring more than one. Choose styles that work for your shape.
2. Tunics and caftans – They are the ultimate beach cover-ups, plus they flatter most figures.
3. Flip flops and bejeweled thongs/sandals – Flip flops are cool and comfortable. The bejeweled footwear is for nighttime strolls at the beach.
4. Sunglasses – protect your eyes from UV’s. Wear them big, bold, and beautifully!
5. Beach bag – to hold your sunblock, reading materials, music, and other beach paraphernalia.
The less outfit dilemmas, the more time to appreciate nature’s beauty.
Have fun with your friends at the beach!